Saturday, June 28, 2008

it's laaaate

Today was a very full day. I tried to pace less... the three amiga's behind me (Joanne, Nancy, Shirley) were at their raucous best. I spoke to a resolution I wrote and it got good support in the house and passed. CeCe spoke eloquently on a motion from her committee. I got to see Tamara up close at the end of the evening (almost midnight), when I closed in prayer. This is as serious as I'll get on this blog... there were some issues of significance to many. I will say that our Charlotte group was very supportive of each other, even when voting differently. I tried to acknowledge these differences and highlight our unity in the closing prayer as rows stretched across the hall with hands held.
Let us pray…

Heavenly Father,

We are divided on much. Chances are that the person beside us voted differently on significant issues, passionately held. It is so easy to see one another as “the enemy” and yet you declare those who hope in the Lord Jesus Christ to be family.

You declare it – in Christ, we are one family! Yet, we struggle so to experience it! Some of us believe truth is at stake; some of us believe justice is at stake; some of us distrust each other, and we struggle with other issues that would drive us apart. Some leave rejoicing; some leave in sorrow; some are not sure what they feel.

What hope do we have apart from your grace through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? What hope? Grace seems a fragile flower in a room full of elephants.

Give us a vision for your grace – unconditional, true, winsome, and strong. Help us see the person on our left and on our right, not as the enemy, but like us, a broken son or daughter for whom Christ has died. Help us cling to your Word and live in your Spirit.

We ask it in Jesus’ name, Amen!

1 comment:

RPS said...

Good prayer, Robert! Appreciate your words very much. Also think "wordie" is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!